MSR Dragonfly Stove Review
After weeks of research and reading about various camping stoves, I decided that the MSR Dragonfly was the best option for us. It wasn’t an easy choice as everyone seems to have a different opinion on the subject, and reviews were often contradictory.
We really liked the MSR Dragonfly Stove because:
- It gives the ability to control the level of heat and allows simmering which is very important for the kind of food we cook.
- It’s a multi-fuel stove, which means that it burns white gas, kerosene, unleaded auto fuel, diesel, and jet fuel. It’s very easy to find fuel anywhere.
- MSR Dragonfly is compact, light and packs easily.
- We’ve only been using it since September 2013, but it seems very well-made and durable.
- The stove comes with a strong bag and a few extras (fuel line filter, petrol jet, cleaning and maintenance tools).
- Boils water very quickly. MSR is pretty powerful.
- We use unleaded petrol, which gives us a little backup for when we need that extra half a litre to get to the next station.
- It’s not cheap. The price is 127 GBP without a bottle, which positions this stove at the top end of the price range.
- It’s very loud. If you like peace and quiet, it’s probably not the right choice for you.
- It doesn’t have an option to attach a gas bottle, which some people prefer.
- Burning unleaded petrol is not the healthiest option, although from our experience the smell only lasts for about 15 seconds when the stove heats up.
We use this little portable kitchen all the time. It allows us to stay healthy and to save a lot of money by cooking our own food. In this respect the initial spend is justified, as in the long run having a stove that you can rely on is worth every penny.
Even at times when we’ve had to pay for accommodation, we used this stove to prepare a meal in our room, next to the open window.
Combined with a tent, MSR Dragonfly Stove gives us freedom and independence to go at our own speed and not to worry about finding a place to eat. It allows us to cook the food we like, stay healthy, save money and share meals with locals. If we were to buy a stove again, we would choose exactly the same model.